Research excellence in all fields of study is central to the mission of Ziauddin University and a pinnacle priority, as the key element to the success of the University’s academic profile needs to be preserved. Education at ZU would not be complete without its vital research community. The Health Sciences Research Program encompasses several faculties and departments across ZU campuses that contribute to a rich atmosphere. A wide range of research and clinical facilities for student learning and innovation are present on different campuses with extensive interaction between the basic science and clinical faculty. The Faculty of Health Sciences including the College of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Rehabilitation, Speech-language & hearing sciences offer unparalleled opportunities for interdisciplinary cooperation in health sciences education and research. The expertise of many Health Sciences faculty covers a broad spectrum of disciplines that includes both basic science wet-lab research and clinical research in human health and disease, with a provision of expanding graduate programs to be offered in Medicine, Pharmacy and Allied Health Disciplines. All are in the continued pursuit of ever-greater accomplishments in research through our commitment to innovation, excellence, and quality. We share new knowledge for educating and inspiring tomorrow’s leaders as university education is all about the generation of new knowledge through research. Furthermore, ZU faculties maintain active research laboratories that are exploring existing questions, spanning from the most basic to the most translational aspects of health sciences.
To be recognized as the icon of innovative cutting-edge basic applied and translational research.
Advancing research and developing the University’s reputation as the most renowned private sector academic research-based institution. Cutting-edge clinical and translational research- bringing medical innovation to patient care and industry. Promotion of independent research projects in all fields of degree-based programs with a drive for lifelong learning through creativity, innovative research and commercialization. Ensuring that research meets the highest ethical and quality standards through open transparent processes.
Ziauddin University has started offering
- Real time PCR assays
- DNA/RNA Extraction
- Gel electrophoresis
- SNP Genotyping
- DNA Methylation Studies
- Genomic Sequencing
- RNA Quantification
- PCR Services
- Primer Designing
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Histological Sample Processing and Staining
- Results Interpretation of Histological and Histopathological Slides (Animal & Human Tissues)
- High Resolution Microscopy and Imaging
- Histomorphometry Analysis
- Image Processing and Graphic Designing of Figures
The Research Department’s overarching aim in supporting international research collaboration is to maximize ZU’s contribution to and benefits from international and national research collaborations and partnerships.
- Dr. Umar Daood, International Medical University, Kaula Lumpur, Malaysia
- Alfaisal University Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Dr. Aftab Ahmed, Associate Professor, at the Chapman University School of Pharmacy, USA.
- Prof. Dr. Syed Abdul Aziz, Professor, Faculty of medicine, Department of Pathology and Lab medicine, University of Ottawa, Canada.
- Farzana S Chaudhary MD, Consulting Pediatrician, Suny Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, New York, USA
- Dr. Shadab H. Ahmed, MD, FACP, FIDA, Professor of Clinical Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook. Attending Infectious Diseases, Nassau University Medical Center, USA.
- Arshad Jahangir, MD, FACC, FHRS, FAHA, Director Center for Advanced Atrial Fibrillation Therapies. Associate Director Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology Fellowship Program Aurora Cardiovascular Services, Advocate Aurora Health Adjunct Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health Milwaukee, WI 53215, USA.
- Prof. Syed Anwar Hussain, Consultant Medical Oncology, Department of Oncology and Metabolism, Sheffield University, United Kingdom.
- Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research (PCMD), ICCBS, UoK, Pakistan.
- HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry, ICCBS, UoK, Pakistan.
- Center for Bioequivalence Studies and Clinical Research (CBSCR), ICCBS, UoK, Pakistan.
- National Center for Proteomics, UoK, Pakistan.
- Jamil-ur-Rehman Center for Genome Research, ICCBS, UoK, Pakistan
- Dow University of Health Sciences (DUHS)
- Agha Khan University
- To promote science and technology capacity building, Ziauddin University as its intellectual and corporate social responsibility proudly runs the internship program for the indigenous and external students. This program is targeted at students intending to pursue a career in research or higher learning by imparting knowledge and skills to inculcate analytical skills, critical thinking, wisdom and confidence in them. Our highly skilled faculty is engaged in training of scholars in the emerging fields of molecular medicine and genetics, molecular oncology, cell biology and histology, diabetology, proteomics, stem cell culture, bioinformatics and microbial genomics
- The program also offers the internees to develop their scientific writing skills and the chances to participate in the publication arising from the work performed in MDRL.
- The program is based on observer ship and apprenticeship at Multi-Disciplinary Research Laboratory (MDRL) I and II with nominal charges to provide research environment and generate the popularity of our research lab and infrastructure, and revenue generation for research infrastructure support with no expenditures from the university.
RESEARCH FACILITATION AT ZU-FHS
Following Research Committees operate for the supervision, monitoring, and advocacy of
- Graduate Examination Committee (GEC)
- Clinical Research Committee (CRC)
- Ethical Review Committee (ERC)
RESEARCH AND LABORATORY FACILITATORS
- Dr. Talat Mirza (Executive Director Research)
- Dr. Saeeda Baig (Director MDRL, HOD Biochemistry)
- Shamim Mushtaq (Director PG, BHS)
- Dr. Zahida Memon
- Dr. Qamar Jamal
- Dr. Bushra Wasim
- Dr. Fauzia Shaikh
- Dr. Qudsia Hassan
- Dr. Zil-e-Rubab
- Dr. Arif Hussain
- Rizma Khan
- Ambrina Khatoon
- Shumaila Usman
- Rehan Imad
- Abdul Hameed
- Aneel Roy Bhagwani
- Sumaira Farooqui
- Amna Amir Khan
- Syed Abid Ali Kazmi
- Yamna Khurshid
- Sofia Amjid
- Imran Moheet
- Tahmina Tabish
- Fariha Anum
Patent (in Process)
- Shumaila Usman has established a human oral submucous fibrosis cell line for the 1st time in Pakistan at Ziauddin University.
- This cell line is not available commercially Worldwide
- We have applied for the patent and working on the commercialization of the cell line,
Total no. of students supervised & co supervised by the Research faculty at ZU: 75
Publications from the Department of Research in National & International HEC recognized journals including
- Cells (IF 7.6)
- Virology (IF 5.0)
- Experimental Cell Research (IF 4.1)
- Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry (IF 87)
- Metabolic Brain Diseases (IF 3.68)
- Molecular Biology Reports (IF 2.7)
Total No. of Publications from 2018-2023 are: 125
|Title of Award/ Honor||Forum/ conferring authority/ organization name, contacts||Any award/ prize/ certificate or relevant received.||Brief Details of work honored|
|Dr. Yamna Khursheed||EMBO||Travel Grant to attend EMBO Practical Course: The fundamentals of high-end cell sorting, Heidelberg, Germany, 30 Oct - 4 Nov 2022||Full Funding for the practical training, poster and oral presentation|
|Dr. Abdul Hameed, Best Research Presentation Award||Primary Care Diabetes Association (PCDA) Confernce 2022||Shield for token of appreciation/Cash prize/Certificate/fully funded||Best oral presenter award in the field of diabetics research|
|Dr. Abdul Hameed, Best Research Presentation Award||3rd Physiology Resonates and Ozonizes Biological Existence (PROBE), by Department of Physiology during February 21-23, 2022, Karachi, Pakistan.||Shield for token of appreciation/Certificate/fully funded/ Registration||Best oral presenter award in the field of diabetics research|
The Department of Research is routinely organizing workshops to promote the professional development of the faculty and student with capacity building in research, enhanced productivity, and improved university ranking on the following topics:
- Fundamentals of Molecular Biology
- Research Methodology
- Molecular Biology Techniques
- Fundamentals of Cell Culture
- Advanced Histology & Microscopy
- Care & Use of Small Lab Animals
“Conferences Conducted by the Research Department
- 3rd International Conference on “Rehabilitation: Translational, Clinical and Research Perspectives” from 22nd to 24th of February 2018.
- 4th International Conference on “Challenges in Drug Discovery and Therapeutics” from 06th & 07th of December, 2019.
- Dr. Talat Mirza (HOD)
- Shumaila Usman (Assistant Professor)
- Ambrina Khatoon (Assistant Professor)
- Rehan Iamd (Assistant Professor)
- Abdul Hameed (Assistant Professor)
- Dr Yamna Khurshid (Assistant Professor)
- Urfa Tabbasum (Lecturer)
- Fariha Anum (Biostatistician)
- Sadia Farrukh (Managing Editor-PJMD)
- Moazzam Ali Shahid (Senior Research Officer)
- Saba Farooq (Assistant Manager)
- Tayyaba Rasool (Assistant Editor-PLMD)
- Aamir Khalil (Office Assistant)
4/B, Shahrah – e – Ghalib, Block # 06, Clifton, Karachi – 75600, Pakistan
Tel: 92-21-35862937-9, Fax: 92-21-3586294
Email: [email protected]