Dr. Rafeeq Alam Khan
Ziauddin University Karachi
It is my profound honor to extend an invitation on behalf of Ziauddin University organizing committee for the 4th International Conference to be held on December 6th -7th 2019. The International Conference will focus on vast areas of Challenges in Drug discovery relation to therapeutics, clinical management and research which are open yet to maximize the untouched resources. We have adopted a multidisciplinary and collaborative approach to further enhance the knowledge on Drug Discovery and therapeutics with high quality innovative research.
Look forward in welcoming you all at Ziauddin University in December 2019.
Prof. Dr. Anwar Ejaz Beg
We proudly inform to all expected participants that Ziauddin Faculty of Pharmacy is hosting this event with the collaboration of colleges of Medicine, Speech Language and Hearing Sciences, Faculty of Eastern Medicine along with other Allied Health faculties of ZU. Our aim is to deliver innovative tools that make drug development and therapeutics more efficient, more cost-effective and more successful.
There will be Keynote speakers, multidisciplinary plenary sessions and lectures of well known scientists working in this area. Moreover, there will be Preconference workshops conducted by our co-hosts and oral as well as poster presentations by the young scientists. This will be followed by a two-day conference with interactive sessions which will provide an in-depth understanding of the advances, practices and current challenges in the field of drug discovery and therapeutics. This platform will bring together Scientist. Leaders in Academia and Health care to discuss this great issue which will continue and despite trying to better ourselves with knowledge, we appear to be far behind in conquering many diseases.
Prof. Dr. Talat Mirza
It’s my proud pleasure and honor to welcome you all in the 4th International Conference at the Ziauddin University, committed for excellence in education, patient care and research. This is a great academic forum for world class scientists, eminent scholars and distinguished physicians to address an array of exciting topics that highlight cutting edge research and advances in the diverse areas of drug discovery and therapeutics Program highlights are the current challenges, innovations and state of the art technological advancement in drug designing and development.
The mission is to further expand the science of therapeutics through a research and practice based multidisciplinary approach. The conference would provide a brilliant opportunity to all the international and national speakers from varied disciplines to interact productively with sharing of knowledge and experience. Therefore, we celebrate the excitement of outstanding science and look forward to your enthusiastic participation in this mega event.
Prof. Dr. Bushra Waseem
Director ORIC, Ziauddin University
In this 4th International Conference we proudly inform all the participants that we are collaborating and co-hosting this event with Faculty of Pharmacy, Ziauddin University. The aim is to draw attention from all National and International personnel involved in Drug discovery and Therapeutics. There will be State of the Art lectures, Keynote speakers and multidisciplinary plenary sessions. Moreover, there will be Preconference workshops conducted by Faculty of Pharmacy and the Research department, oral presentations by the young scientists. This will be followed by one and a half day conference with interactive sessions which will provide an in-depth understanding of the advances, practices and critical issues in the field of drug discovery and therapeutics. This conference show cases a host of senior level experts to discuss recent developments in the industry and debate the best strategies and solutions to improve drug discovery and therapeutics. It is with better understanding of pharmacology one can know the right dosage, interactions and abuse of drugs.
Looking forward for a very fruitful & academic conference and hope you all will have a great time at Ziauddin University Karachi.
Dr. Ghulam Abbas
It is my great honor and pleasure to welcome you to attend the 4th International Conference on Challenges in Drug Discovery and Therapeutics at Ziauddin University. This conference aims to provide the forum for national and international researchers, for presenting the research results, solutions to problems, and insight into emergent new challenges in drug development and therapeutics. There will be State of the Art lectures by keynote speakers and multidisciplinary plenary sessions. Moreover, there will be Preconference workshops conducted by Faculty of Pharmacy and the Research Department of Ziauddin University. Looking forward to seeing you. Hope you all will have a great time at Ziauddin University Karachi.
Dr. Asim Hussain, Chancellor
Patron in Chief
Dr. Rafeeq Alam Khan
Prof. Dr. Anwar Ejaz Beg
Prof. Dr. Talat Mirza
Dr. Arif Sabah
Conference Organizing Secretary
Dr. Bushra Wasim
Director ORIX & Conference Co-ordinator
Dr. Ghulam Abbas
Prof. Dr. Pirzada Qasim Raza Siddiqui
Dr. Nida Hussain
- Dr Maqsood Ahmed
- Dr Shazia Alam
- Dr Adeel Arsalan
- Dr Sadaf Ibrahim
- Dr Ambreen Huma
- Dr Mirza Tasawur Baig
- Dr Zebun Nisa
- Dr Syed Imran Ali
- Dr Quratul Ain
- Dr Sadia Kashif
- Dr Talha Bin Fayyaz
- Dr Sidra Tanwir
- Dr Uzair Nisar
- Dr Tayabba faraz
- Dr Saba Ajaz Baloch
- Dr Saba Majeed
- Dr Faiza Akhtar
- Ms Shehla Siddiqi
- Dr Najeeb Khatyan
- Dr Samina Sheikh
- Dr Anum Tariq
- Dr Hammad Ahmed
- Dr Muneeza Lodhi
- Dr Faiza Akhtar
- Ms Aisha jabeen
- Dr Sarah Haroon
- Dr Ahmed Shahid Mirza
- Dr Rasheeda Fatima
- Dr Hirra Soomro
- Dr Mehwish Murad
- Dr Maria Murad
- Dr Maria Ashfaq
- Dr Anum Arif
- Dr Saira Shehnaza
- Dr Muhammad Ibrahim Sial
- Dr Nayel Syed
- Dr Faryal Hassan
- Dr Nida Ghani
- Dr Hania Sarosh Khan
- Prof. Dr. Talat Mirza
- Prof. Dr. Bushra Wasim
- Prof. Dr Saeeda Baig
- Dr. Shamim Mushtaq
- Dr. Rehan Ahmed Siddiqi
- Dr. Arif Sabah
- Dr. Ghulam Abbas
- Dr.Adeel Arsalan
- Dr.Tasawer Baig
- Dr. Tayyaba Faraz
- Ms.Saba Farooq
- Mrs.Shahla Siddiqi
- Mrs. Hafsa Zafar
- Mr.Ashok Devji
For Further Details Please Contact
- DRUG DISCOVERY
- HERBAL MEDICINE
- THERAPEUTIC INNOVATIONS
PROF. DR. MUHAMMAD IQBAL CHOUDHARY
(Hilal-i-Imtiaz, Sitara-i-Imtiaz, Tamgha-i-Imtiaz)
Topic: Sourcing Nature for Drug Discovery-Current and Future Perspective
Dr. M. Iqbal Choudhary is Director and Professor of Bioorganic and Natural Product Chemistry at the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (H. E. J. Research Institute of Chemistry and Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research). Prof. Choudhary has, since 1990, been among the world leaders in the field of natural product chemistry, and has made pioneering contributions in the discovery of novel natural products. He has discovered many potent anti-epileptic and anti-leishmanial compounds from indigenous medicinal plants that are under clinical trials. His contributions to reverse bacterial resistance to antibiotics represent seminal contributions in this important field. He leads the developing world’s finest research center of natural product chemistry (HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry) since 2002, and has trained hundreds of young researchers, especially women, from across the Afro-Asian region in natural product chemistry. He has established several research centers in Pakistan, and helped to setup research units in Africa, and South and Central Asia. His scientific, and capacity building contributions have been recognized by prestigious national and international awards and honors, and fellowships of several academies of science. Prof. Choudhary has 1,018 publications (Citations 23,000, h index 62) in the fields of organic and bioorganic chemistry, along with 57 international patents (51 US Patents), 68 books and 40 chapters in books, published by major U.S. and European presses. On the basis of his researches, 84 students have been awarded Ph.D. degrees in various areas of natural product and bioorganic chemistry.
HIGHLIGHTS OF MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS
AWARDS & HONORS
- Doctor of Science (D.Sc.), Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Kazakhstan (2019).
- Declared as the top scientists among 1,650 scientists of Pakistan in all disciplines/ fields of science and technology (year 2010-2013) in term of research productivity (publications and patents) by the Pakistan Council for Science and Technology (Ministry of Science and Technology), Pakistan.
- COMSTECH Award in Chemistry (2010) (in 57 OIC member countries) by the Prime Minister of Pakistan (2010).
- Civil Award Hilal-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (2007).
- Civil Award Sitara-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (2001).
- Civil Award Tamgha-i-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (1999).
- First Khwarizmi International Award and Prize from the President of Islamic Republic of Iran (2006).
- Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) Excellence Awards in Education 2006 from the President of Azerbaijan.
- Distinguished National Professor by the Higher Education Commission (2004).
- Abdussalam (Nobel Laureate) Prize in Chemistry (1989).
- Riazuddin Siddiqui Gold Medal of Pakistan Academy of Sciences (1992).
- The Third World Academy of Science (Trieste, Italy) Young Scientists Award (1994).
- National Book Foundation Prize for the Best Science Book (1995).
- Fellow, The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS) (2003).
- Fellow, Islamic World Academy of Science (2003).
- Fellow, Pakistan Academy of Sciences (2003).
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (2004).
- Fellow, Chemical Society of Pakistan (2001).
- Fellow, International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC).
- Fellow, World Innovation Foundation (2006).
- Senior Fulbright Fellow, University of California at San Diego, USA (1999).
- Fellow, LEAD-International (Leadership for Environment and Development).
Director Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan, Islamabad.
Topic: Therapeutic Goods Regulation – An instrument of Public Health
Dr. Obaidullah is a Pharmacist by profession with Ph D degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences and having 20 years of professional experiences in regulation and compliance. He is associated with pharmaceutical regulations in Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan (DRAP) since 2001. Also associated with various institutions / universities imparting graduate and post graduate pharmacy education for teaching advanced courses and research; Member, Board of Studies and examiner for Pharm D, M.Phil / MS and Ph D programs in Pharmaceutical Sciences. He published more than 20 National and International Research articles in peer-reviewed journals.
His field of interest is:
- Regulatory Sciences and Pharmaceutical Policies
- Pharmaceutical product development.
- Bio-active guided fractionation and isolation of pharmacologically active compound from natural sources.
- Public Health
- Ethno pharmacology
Dr. Saifur Rehman Khatak
B.Pharm, M.Pharm, MS (Public Health), Ph.D. (Pharmacy)
Topic: Reshaping Drug Development through risk management – A systematic approach to counter related challenges.
Dr. Saif started his professional career as R&D Pharmacist. He has plentiful experience of supervising and monitoring areas of drug development such as design of experiments, risk assessment, bioequivalence studies and clinical trials. GMP and GLP audits and drug analysis are also his fields of interest.
He has good work on bio degradation, photo degradation and photo toxicity models with a number research articles in reputed international research journals. He has also contributed as writer of a number of Regulatory Guidance Documents for Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan. Currently he is working as Director, Central Drugs Laboratory and Federal Government Analyst. He is also the visiting faculty of Dow University of Health Sciences Karachi and Research Associate CBSCR, HEJ Karachi.
Dr. Shazia Jamshed
School of Pharmacy, International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM)
Pharmacy Practice, Research Leader Qualitative Research Group
Coordinator Research in Pharmacy and Biostatistics
Topic: Need for Pharmacovigilance Culture
Shazia Qasim Jamshed is working as an Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmacy, International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM). She did Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharm.) in 1991 and Master of Philosophy (MPhil.) in 1995 from the University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan. She earned PhD in Pharmacy Practice (2011) from University Science Malaysia. Previously, she served as faculty in different medical and pharmacy institutes of Pakistan like Frontier Medical College, Abbottabad, Baqai Medical University, Karachi Medical
& Dental College and Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Karachi.
Her primary research interests encompass generic medicine utilization, pharmacy education and practice-based research. Over the past two years she worked on the issues associated with care perspectives in oral health, Alzheimer’s disease, alternative therapies, self-medication practices, radio pharmacy, and antibiotic resistance.
In terms of scholarship she published more than 100 National and International Research articles in peer-reviewed journals, periodicals and newspapers. She is presently serving as an Editor in Charge (Clinical Pharmacy) at Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacy, Section Editor, Journal of Pharmacy and Bio allied Sciences, Associate Editor BMC Public Health and BMC Health Services Research. She is on the international advisory board of BMC Journal of Pharmaceutical Policy and Practice.
She attended more than 20 national and international conferences and shared her research work through more than 30 oral and poster presentations. She authored 4 book chapters and Encyclopedia chapter titled “Introduction to Social Pharmacy” (Elsevier-USA), “The Pharmaceutical Industry, Intellectual Property Rights and Access to Medicines in Pakistan” (McMillan and Palgrave), Pharmacy Practice in Pakistan: Opportunities and Challenges in Pharmacy Practice in Developing Countries (Elsevier-USA) and Management of Neurological Disorders and Pharmacist’s Role: Multiple Sclerosis, Encyclopedia of Pharmacy practice and Clinical Pharmacy ,Elsevier USA.
She achieved research grants, travel grants and outstanding researcher awards within a span of last five years. She supervised five PhD and two masters students on topics related to antibiotic resistance, pharmacovigilance, and medication error reporting. She participated as a facilitator and invited speaker in more than 15 workshops and seminars.
Currently she is serving as member/life member of different pharmaceutical and healthcare professional bodies around the globe.
- Membership-American Society of Health System Pharmacists
- Membership-International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP)
- Member-American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- Member-British Pharmacological Society
- Life membership-Pakistan Pharmacists Association
- Membership-Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society
- Membership-Health Systems Global
- Membership-Academic Society for the Quality of Life
- Membership-Common Wealth Pharmacists Association
She will be contacted at [email protected]
Prof Imran Bashir Chaudhry
MBBS, DPH, Dip Psych (UK), MS (USA), MD (UK)
Topic: Neuro-inflammation: A key target for development of novel treatments for severe mental illnesses
Professor Imran Bashir Chaudhry is a consultant psychiatrist and chairman psychiatry at Ziauddin group of Hospitals Karachi. He trained in USA and UK and is a professor of adult psychiatry at University of Manchester and visiting professor at Dow University of Health Sciences. He worked as a consultant Psychiatrist with the National Health Service in the United Kingdom for 17 years. Prof Chaudhry has made significant contributions to research through experimental clinical psychopharmacological studies and developing culturally appropriate psychological interventions. He has designed and funded no fewer than ten clinical trials of novel agents, each with a scientific rationale but away from mainstream thinking. Since 2003 as PI and Co-PI, he received research grants from prestigious organizations which include MRC, NIH-R, British Council, CIDA, SMRI, DFID, Welcome Trust and Grand Challenges Canada. He received numerous clinical excellence awards from the NHS for excellence in research, service development and teaching. He also has received diplomate of the year from World Health Organization and research excellence award from Royal College of Psychiatrists. He was a member of technical advisory board of The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). He has published more than 200 papers and abstracts in international, high impact factor peer reviewed journals and presented his research at prestigious international meetings.
Dr. Rashida Rahmat Zohra
Topic: Intellectual Property Management in Life Science
Dr. Rashida Rahmat Zohra, is a biotechnologist with specialization in Industrial Biotechnology. Her research interests are in developing biotech based technologies and commercialization of biological research. She is serving as Dean Research, Director of Office of Research Innovation and Commercialization (ORIC) and Assistant Professor in Department of Biotechnology at Jinnah University for Women, Karachi.
She has been associated with Institute of Research Promotion (IRP), Lahore; Pakistan’s largest R&D network, as In-charge of Invention to Innovation Summit and lead the annual activities.
Apart from outstanding academic record, the nominee has research publications in internationally reputed journals with Impact Factor and has novel proteins and genomic sequences submitted to UniProtKb and GenBank, respectively. She has recently been awarded 5.3 million PKR Research Grant from Higher Education Commission, HEC (Technology Development Fund-TDF), Pakistan. She is the only awardee throughout Karachi to receive this fund in the call for year 2017.
She is part of the team studying Entrepreneurial Scientists worldwide with Triple Helix Association and advocates industry-academia linkages and entrepreneurship at academic institutions. To her credit is a book of case studies, a national directory and several online short articles. (https://satha.org/Projects/Entrepreneurial-Scientists.aspx)
AREA OF EXPERTISE
- Microbial biopolymers production, purification and characterization.
- Protein purification and characterization from natural sources
- Bioprocess engineering using enzyme technology.
- Enhanced production of recombinant biomolecules of commercial importance.
- Managing industry-academia-government liaison for applied research & technology development.
- Convergence of all Pakistan academic institutions for applied research.
- Promotion of indigenous technology development programs.
- Design and development of new academic & professional certification programs.
- Preparing project plans for institutes to get funding for research facilities development, seminars and new program launching.
- Managing the graduate, postgraduate level academic centers and enhancing their quality.
Prof. Dr. Kashif Ikram
BDS, FDSRCS (Eng.), FFDRCS (Ire.)
BAQAI DENTAL COLLEGE
Topic: Miswak Ek Gumshuda Haqeeqat
- Principal Baqai Dental College / Hospital
- Professor, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- BDS – (Baqai Dental College)
- FDSRCS, (Royal College of Surgeons of England).
- FFDSRCS, (Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland).
- Specialist in Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine & Implantology.
- Certified Implantologist.
- Tutor / Trainer for Dental Implants.
- Author of Many National &n International Articles.
Dr. Fatima Jehangir
FCPS (Family Medicine)
Dept. of Family Medicine
Ziauddin College of Medicine
President (Pakistan Academy of Family Physicians) Khi Chapter
Topic: Next generation Anti Diabetic Medication: Liraglutide , a Glucagon like Peptide-1 Analog, fights DM, Obesity and Cardiovascular morbidity.
Day 1 Program
|Walk in registration for Pre Conference Workshop|
(on seat availability)
|08:30 am-09:00 am|
|Pre-conference workshops||09:00 am-11:00 am|
|Tea Break||11:00 am-11:30 am|
|Pre Conference Workshops||11:30 am-01:00 pm|
|Namaz e Jumma Break||01:00 pm-03:00 pm|
|Conference Inaugural Sessions:|
Inaugural ceremony, Introduction to the Conference, Welcome Address, Inaugural Sessions, Keynote speaker, Dr. Ziauddin Memorial lecture, Address by Chief Guest, Vote of thanks
|03:00 pm-05:45 pm|
Day 2 program: 4 Plenary Sessions
|Plenary Session 1: Drug Discovery and Therapeutics (3 lectures)||09:00 am-10:30 am|
|Tea Break||10:30 am-11:00 am|
|Plenary Session 2: Pharmacovigilance (4 lectures)||11:00 am-01:00 pm|
|Prayer and Lunch Break||01:00 pm-02:00 pm|
|Plenary Session 3: Therapeutic Innovations (3 lectures)||02:00 pm-03:30 pm|
|Plenary Session 4: Neutraceuticals / Herbal Medicines (2 lectures)||03:30 pm-04:30 pm|
|Concluding Session and Shield Distribution Ceremony||04:30 pm-05:30 pm|
RESEARCH DEPARTMENT, ZIAUDDIN UNIVERSITY
|Prof. Dr. Talat Mirza|
Dr. Rehan Ahmed Siddiqui
|Histological Techniques in Pre- Clinical Studies||MDRL LAB 2|
University Building, 3rdFloor. Ziauddin University, Clifton Karachi.
09:00 am-01:00 pm
|Dr. Shamim Mushtaq|
Dr. Shumaila Usman
|Cell Culture Techniques for Drug Designing and Development||MDRL LAB 1|
University Building, 3rdFloor. Ziauddin University, Clifton Karachi.
09:00 am-01:00 pm
|TEA BREAK||11:00 am-11:30 am|
FACULTY OF PHARMACY, ZIAUDDIN UNIVERSITY
|Dr. Ghulam Abbass||Pre-Clinical Behavioral Paradigms||Faculty of Pharmacy, Ziauddin University||09:00 am-01:00 pm||Rs. 1000|
|Dr. Shazia Jamshed||Rigor in Research: Development of valid and reliable research instrument||Faculty of Pharmacy, Ziauddin University||09:00 am-01:00 pm||Rs. 1000|
Poster Presentation Specifications
- Information should be summarized using brief written statements, graphic materials, such as photographs, charts, graphs, and diagrams mounted on standard size poster (2 ft (breadth) x 4ft (length) pins or other mounting materials will be supplied.
- Authors must prepare all posters before hand in a form enabling easy mounting.
- Poster orientation must be PORTRAIT. If posters are in landscape format, there will not be adequate space to display them.
- Clear labels must be used for each section of the poster. Text should be of sufficient size for easy reading at a distance of 1.5 meter (between 16-20 font sizes).
- Title must be displayed clearly at the top of the poster and should include the names of the author(s) and the institution(s) of origin.
Display and Presentation
- Author/s are responsible for mounting and taking down their own poster during the conference. Mounting tapes will be provided by the registration desk if required.
- Posters will be on display from 6th-7th December, 2019 from 09:00 am to 05:00 pm. (Poster presentation schedule will be shared by end of November, 2019)
- Poster presenters should be available to discuss the posters with the conference participants & judges
during these periods and during the tea breaks.
Terms and Conditions
- The scientific committee reserves the right to make the final decision about the abstract acceptance and its scheduling into the program based on topics and time constraints.
- The language of the conference is English.
- All abstracts must be prepared using the abstract submission guidelines.
- Fee or payment of travel/ living expenses or registration charges will not be provided.
We look forward to seeing you at the 4th International Conference!
- Conference Secretariat: ORIC Office, 5th floor, ZU
- Tel No:(9221)35862937-9 (Ext 2366), 35379207.
- Email: [email protected]
- Web: www.zu.edu.pk
Abstracts must be submitted for both ORAL/POSTER presentations
|Last date for Abstract Submission||20th July, 2019 (Extended up to 2nd Aug, 2019)|
|Notification of Acceptance of Abstract||20thAugust, 2019|
- Cell Culture Technique for Drug Design and Development
- Histological Techniques in Pre Clinical Studies
- Pre Clinical Behavioral Paradigms
- Rigor in Research: Development of valid and reliable research instrument
|Last date for Pre Conference Workshop registration||30th October,2019|
|Last date for Conference registration||15th November, 2019|
Registration Fee for Conference:
|All Students and Faculty||Rs. 1000|
|Registration Fee for workshops||Rs. 1000 (Limited Seats)|
For Registration Online Please log on registration.zu.edu.pk
Abul Hassan Jafarey Auditorium, Ziauddin University, Clifton Campus. Karachi