Dr. Rafeeq Alam Khan
Ziauddin University Karachi
It is my profound honor to extend an invitation on behalf of Ziauddin University organizing committee for the 4th International Conference to be held on December 6th -7th 2019. The International Conference will focus on vast areas of Challenges in Drug discovery relation to therapeutics, clinical management and research which are open yet to maximize the untouched resources. We have adopted a multidisciplinary and collaborative approach to further enhance the knowledge on Drug Discovery and therapeutics with high quality innovative research.
Look forward in welcoming you all at Ziauddin University in December 2019.
Prof. Dr. Anwar Ejaz Beg
We proudly inform to all expected participants that Ziauddin Faculty of Pharmacy is hosting this event with the collaboration of colleges of Medicine, Speech Language and Hearing Sciences, Faculty of Eastern Medicine along with other Allied Health faculties of ZU. Our aim is to deliver innovative tools that make drug development and therapeutics more efficient, more cost-effective and more successful.
There will be Keynote speakers, multidisciplinary plenary sessions and lectures of well known scientists working in this area. Moreover, there will be Preconference workshops conducted by our co-hosts and oral as well as poster presentations by the young scientists. This will be followed by a two-day conference with interactive sessions which will provide an in-depth understanding of the advances, practices and current challenges in the field of drug discovery and therapeutics. This platform will bring together Scientist. Leaders in Academia and Health care to discuss this great issue which will continue and despite trying to better ourselves with knowledge, we appear to be far behind in conquering many diseases.
Prof. Dr. Talat Mirza
It’s my proud pleasure and honor to welcome you all in the 4th International Conference 2019 at the Ziauddin University, committed for excellence in education, patient care and research. This is a great academic forum for world class scientists, eminent scholars and distinguished physicians to address an array of exciting topics that highlight cutting edge research and advances in the diverse areas of drug discovery and therapeutics Program highlights are the current challenges, innovations and state of the art technological advancement in drug designing and development.
The mission is to further expand the science of therapeutics through a research and practice based multidisciplinary approach. The conference would provide a brilliant opportunity to all the international and national speakers from varied disciplines to interact productively with sharing of knowledge and experience. Therefore, we celebrate the excitement of outstanding science and look forward to your enthusiastic participation in this mega event.
Prof. Dr. Bushra Wasim
Director ORIC, Ziauddin University
In this 4th International Conference we proudly inform all the participants that we are collaborating and co-hosting this event with Faculty of Pharmacy, Ziauddin University. The aim is to draw attention from all National and International personnel involved in Drug discovery and Therapeutics. There will be State of the Art lectures, Keynote speakers and multidisciplinary plenary sessions. Moreover, there will be Preconference workshops conducted by Faculty of Pharmacy and the Research department, oral presentations by the young scientists. This will be followed by one and a half day conference with interactive sessions which will provide an in-depth understanding of the advances, practices and critical issues in the field of drug discovery and therapeutics. This conference show cases a host of senior level experts to discuss recent developments in the industry and debate the best strategies and solutions to improve drug discovery and therapeutics. It is with better understanding of pharmacology one can know the right dosage, interactions and abuse of drugs.
Looking forward for a very fruitful & academic conference and hope you all will have a great time at Ziauddin University Karachi.
Dr. Ghulam Abbas
It is my great honor and pleasure to welcome you to attend the 4th International Conference on Challenges in Drug Discovery and Therapeutics at Ziauddin University. This conference aims to provide the forum for national and international researchers, for presenting the research results, solutions to problems, and insight into emergent new challenges in drug development and therapeutics. There will be State of the Art lectures by keynote speakers and multidisciplinary plenary sessions. Moreover, there will be Preconference workshops conducted by Faculty of Pharmacy and the Research Department of Ziauddin University. Looking forward to seeing you. Hope you all will have a great time at Ziauddin University Karachi.
Dr. Asim Hussain, Chancellor
Patron in Chief
Dr. Rafeeq Alam Khan
Prof. Dr. Anwar Ejaz Beg
Prof. Dr. Talat Mirza
Dr. Arif Sabah
Conference Organizing Secretary
Dr. Bushra Wasim
Director ORIX & Conference Co-ordinator
Dr. Ghulam Abbas
Prof. Dr. Pirzada Qasim Raza Siddiqui
Prof. Dr. Nida Hussain
Scientific Committee Conference 2019
|1||Dr. Talat Mirza (Head)||Dean Research, ZU|
|2||Dr. Arif Sabah||Associate Professor, FoP, ZU|
|3||Dr. Maqsood Ahmed||Associate Professor, FoP, ZU|
|4||Dr. Ghulam Abbass||Associate Professor, FoP, ZU|
|5||Dr Sadaf Ibrahim||Associate Professor, FoP, ZU|
|6||Dr. Adeel Arsalan||Associate Professor, FoP, ZU|
|7||Dr. Zebunnisa||Associate Professor, FoP, ZU|
|8||Dr. Tayyaba Faraz||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|9||Dr. Saba Majeed||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|10||Dr. Shumaila Usman||Assistant Professor, Research Dept, ZU|
Registration Committee Conference 2019
|1||Dr. Quratulain Leghari (Head)||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|2||Ms. Shehla Siddiqui||Senior. Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
|3||Dr. Anum Arif||Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
|4||Dr.Nayel Syed||Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
|5||Dr. Saira Shehnaz||Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
|6||Dr. Hania Saroosh||Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
|7||Dr. Nida Ghani||Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
Technical Support Committee Conference 2019
|1||Dr. Shazia Alam (Head)||Associate Professor, FoP, ZU|
|2||Dr. Talha Bin Fayyaz||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
|3||Dr. Samina Sheikh||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
|4||Dr. Hammad Ahmed||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|5||Dr .Ahmed Shahid Mirza||Senior Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
|6||Dr. Mehwish Murad Ali||Senior Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
Logistic and Hospitality Committee Conference 2019
|1||Dr. Adeel Arsalan (Head)||Associate Professor FoP, ZU|
|2||Dr. Zebun Nisa||Associate Professor FoP, ZU|
|3||Dr. Imran Ali||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
|4||Ms. Sadia Kashif||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
|5||Dr. Najeeb Khatyan||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
Inhouse Maintenance Committee Conference 2019
|1||Dr. Uzair Nisar (Head)||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
|2||Dr. Hammad Ahmed||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|3||Dr. Muneeza Lodhi||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|4||Dr. Rasheeda Fatima||Senior lecturer, FoP, ZU|
|5||Dr. Hirra Soomro||Senior Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
Poster Presentation Committee Conference 2019
|1||Dr. Maqsood Ahmed (Head)||Associate Professor FoP, ZU|
|2||Dr. Shazia Alam||Associate Professor FoP, ZU|
|3||Dr. Sadaf Ibrahim||Associate Professor FoP, ZU|
|4||Dr. Ambreen Huma||Associate Professor FoP, ZU|
|5||Dr. Saba Majeed||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
|6||Dr. Faiza Akhtar||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
|7||Dr. Shumaila Usman||Assistant Professor, Research Dept, ZU|
Food Committee Conference 2019
|1||Dr. Arif Sabah (Head)||Associate Professor, FoP, ZU|
|2||Dr. Uzair Nisar||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|3||Dr. Sidra Tanwir||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|4||Dr. Talha Bin Fayyaz||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|5||Dr. Hammad Ahmed||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
|6||Dr. Muneeza Lodhi||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
|7||Dr. Sarah Haroon||Senior Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
|8||Dr. Faryal Hassan||Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
Conference Printable Committee 2019
|1||Dr. Imran Ali (Head)||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|2||Dr. Sarah Haroon||Senior Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
|3||Dr. Anum Arif||Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
|4||Dr. Nayel Syed||Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
MARKETING SPONSOR COMMITTEE CONFERENCE 2019
|1||Dr. Mirza Tasawer Baig (Head)||Associate Professor Fop, ZU|
|2||Dr .Ghulam Abbass||Associate Professor FoP, ZU|
|3||Ms. Aisha Jabeen||Senior Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
University Correspondence Committee Conference 2019
|1||Dr. Qurat Ul Ain (Head )||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
|2||Dr. Huma Naseem||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|3||Dr. Hammad Ahmed||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|4||Dr. Samina Sheikh||Assistant Professor FoP, ZU|
|5||Dr. Ahmed Shahid||Senior Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
|6||Dr . Saira Shahnaz||Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
Program Hosting Committee Conference 2019
|1||Dr. Huma Naseem (Head)||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|2||Dr Sidra Tanwir||Assistant Professor, FoP, ZU|
|3||Dr. Nayel Syed||Lecturer, FoP, ZU|
Communication Committee Conference 2019
|1||Ms. Saba Farooq (Head )|
|2||Ms. Hafsa Zafar||Assistant Manager, Admin FoP, ZU|
|3||Mr. Ashok Devji||Administration Officer, FoP, ZU|
|4||Mr. Faizan Atique||Office Assistant, FoP,ZU|
|5||Mr. Zaryab Ali Khan||Office Assistant, FoP, ZU|
For Further Details Please Contact
Phone: 9221-35862937-9 (Ext: 2461, 2366), 35379207.
Email: [email protected], [email protected]
Note : Valet Parking and parking area will be available from 9.00-4.30 in front of gate 1 & 2 for all the Registered participants.
- DRUG DISCOVERY
- HERBAL MEDICINE
- THERAPEUTIC INNOVATIONS
Highlights of some of our speakers
Prof. Dr. Muhammad Iqbal Choudhary
(Hilal-i-Imtiaz, Sitara-i-Imtiaz, Tamgha-i-Imtiaz)
Topic: Sourcing Nature for Drug Discovery-Current and Future Perspective
Dr. M. Iqbal Choudhary is Director and Professor of Bioorganic and Natural Product Chemistry at the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (H. E. J. Research Institute of Chemistry and Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research). Prof. Choudhary has, since 1990, been among the world leaders in the field of natural product chemistry, and has made pioneering contributions in the discovery of novel natural products. He has discovered many potent anti-epileptic and anti-leishmanial compounds from indigenous medicinal plants that are under clinical trials. His contributions to reverse bacterial resistance to antibiotics represent seminal contributions in this important field. He leads the developing world’s finest research center of natural product chemistry (HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry) since 2002, and has trained hundreds of young researchers, especially women, from across the Afro-Asian region in natural product chemistry. He has established several research centers in Pakistan, and helped to setup research units in Africa, and South and Central Asia. His scientific, and capacity building contributions have been recognized by prestigious national and international awards and honors, and fellowships of several academies of science. Prof. Choudhary has 1,018 publications (Citations 23,000, h index 62) in the fields of organic and bioorganic chemistry, along with 57 international patents (51 US Patents), 68 books and 40 chapters in books, published by major U.S. and European presses. On the basis of his researches, 84 students have been awarded Ph.D. degrees in various areas of natural product and bioorganic chemistry.
HIGHLIGHTS OF MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS
AWARDS & HONORS
- Doctor of Science (D.Sc.), Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Kazakhstan (2019).
- Declared as the top scientists among 1,650 scientists of Pakistan in all disciplines/ fields of science and technology (year 2010-2013) in term of research productivity (publications and patents) by the Pakistan Council for Science and Technology (Ministry of Science and Technology), Pakistan.
- COMSTECH Award in Chemistry (2010) (in 57 OIC member countries) by the Prime Minister of Pakistan (2010).
- Civil Award Hilal-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (2007).
- Civil Award Sitara-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (2001).
- Civil Award Tamgha-i-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (1999).
- First Khwarizmi International Award and Prize from the President of Islamic Republic of Iran (2006).
- Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) Excellence Awards in Education 2006 from the President of Azerbaijan.
- Distinguished National Professor by the Higher Education Commission (2004).
- Abdussalam (Nobel Laureate) Prize in Chemistry (1989).
- Riazuddin Siddiqui Gold Medal of Pakistan Academy of Sciences (1992).
- The Third World Academy of Science (Trieste, Italy) Young Scientists Award (1994).
- National Book Foundation Prize for the Best Science Book (1995).
- Fellow, The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS) (2003).
- Fellow, Islamic World Academy of Science (2003).
- Fellow, Pakistan Academy of Sciences (2003).
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (2004).
- Fellow, Chemical Society of Pakistan (2001).
- Fellow, International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC).
- Fellow, World Innovation Foundation (2006).
- Senior Fulbright Fellow, University of California at San Diego, USA (1999).
- Fellow, LEAD-International (Leadership for Environment and Development).
Director Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan, Islamabad.
Topic: Therapeutic Goods Regulation – An instrument of Public Health
Dr. Obaidullah is a Pharmacist by profession with Ph D degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences and having 20 years of professional experiences in regulation and compliance. He is associated with pharmaceutical regulations in Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan (DRAP) since 2001. Also associated with various institutions / universities imparting graduate and post graduate pharmacy education for teaching advanced courses and research; Member, Board of Studies and examiner for Pharm.D, M.Phil / MS and Ph D programs in Pharmaceutical Sciences. He published more than 20 National and International Research articles in peer-reviewed journals.
His field of interest is:
- Regulatory Sciences and Pharmaceutical Policies
- Pharmaceutical product development.
- Bio-active guided fractionation and isolation of pharmacologically active compound from natural sources.
- Public Health
- Ethno pharmacology
Dr. Saifur Rehman Khatak
B.Pharm, M.Pharm, MS (Public Health), Ph.D. (Pharmacy)
Topic: Reshaping Drug Development through risk management – A systematic approach to counter related challenges.
Dr. Saif ur Rehman started his professional career as R&D Pharmacist. He has plentiful experience of supervising and monitoring areas of drug development such as design of experiments, risk assessment, bioequivalence studies and clinical trials. GMP and GLP audits and drug analysis are also his fields of interest.
He has good work on bio degradation, photo degradation and photo toxicity models with a number research articles in reputed international research journals. He has also contributed as writer of a number of Regulatory Guidance Documents for Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan. Currently he is working as Director, Central Drugs Laboratory and Federal Government Analyst. He is also the visiting faculty of Dow University of Health Sciences Karachi and Research Associate CBSCR, HEJ Karachi.
Dr. Masood Parvez
X-ray Crystallographer (Retired)
B.Sc., 1967, University of the Punjab
B.Sc. (Hons.), 1969, University of Karachi
M.Sc., 1970, University of Karachi
Ph.D., 1977, Queen’s University of Belfast
Senior Instructor – Manager X-ray Facility (retired, June 30, 2015)
Department of Chemistry, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, canada T2N 1N4
Topic: X-Ray Crystallography and Drug Design
Dr parvez provided X-ray crystallographic service in the department of Chemistry at the University of Calgary and trained highly qualified personnel to operate X-ray compounds. Dr. Parvez has been one of the top 50 contributors (# 43) to the CSD base world-wide (2016).
Dr. Parvez published over 800 research articles in International journals. All of these papers contain his contribution in the area of X-ray crystallography. Some of these publications are exclusively based on the crystal structure that Dr Masood Parvez have determined. In the others, His contributions have strengthened the result obtained by his collaborators; in many cases unequivocally establishing the molecular structure of newly synthesized compounds which could not be established by other physical methods. Dr. masood Parvez is the Co-editor, Acta Crystallographica Section E. He is also the Referee for Acta Crystallographica and Can.J.Chem and Referee for NSF-USA grant proposals.
Email: [email protected]
Dr. Shazia Jamshed
School of Pharmacy, International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM)
Pharmacy Practice, Research Leader Qualitative Research Group
Coordinator Research in Pharmacy and Biostatistics
Topic: Need for Pharmacovigilance Culture
Dr. Shazia Qasim Jamshed is working as an Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmacy, International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM). She did Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharm.) in 1991 and Master of Philosophy (MPhil.) in 1995 from the University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan. She earned PhD in Pharmacy Practice (2011) from University Science Malaysia. Previously, she served as faculty in different medical and pharmacy institutes of Pakistan like Frontier Medical College, Abbottabad, Baqai Medical University, Karachi Medical & Dental College and Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Karachi.
In terms of scholarship she published more than 100 National and International Research articles in peer-reviewed journals, periodicals and newspapers. She is presently serving as an Editor in Charge (Clinical Pharmacy) at Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacy, Section Editor, Journal of Pharmacy and Bio allied Sciences, Associate Editor BMC Public Health and BMC Health Services Research. She is on the international advisory board of BMC Journal of Pharmaceutical Policy and Practice.
She attended more than 20 national and international conferences and shared her research work through more than 30 oral and poster presentations. She authored 4 book chapters and Encyclopedia chapter titled “Introduction to Social Pharmacy” (Elsevier-USA), “The Pharmaceutical Industry, Intellectual Property Rights and Access to Medicines in Pakistan” (McMillan and Palgrave), Pharmacy Practice in Pakistan: Opportunities and Challenges in Pharmacy Practice in Developing Countries (Elsevier-USA) and Management of Neurological Disorders and Pharmacist’s Role: Multiple Sclerosis, Encyclopedia of Pharmacy practice and Clinical Pharmacy ,Elsevier USA.
She achieved research grants, travel grants and outstanding researcher awards within a span of last five years. She supervised five PhD and two masters students on topics related to antibiotic resistance, pharmacovigilance, and medication error reporting. She participated as a facilitator and invited speaker in more than 15 workshops and seminars.
Currently she is serving as member/life member of different pharmaceutical and healthcare professional bodies around the globe.
- Membership-American Society of Health System Pharmacists
- Membership-International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP)
- Member-American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- Member-British Pharmacological Society
- Life membership-Pakistan Pharmacists Association
- Membership-Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society
- Membership-Health Systems Global
- Membership-Academic Society for the Quality of Life
- Membership-Common Wealth Pharmacists Association
She will be contacted at [email protected]
Prof. Imran Bashir Chaudhry
MBBS, DPH, Dip Psych (UK), MS (USA), MD (UK)
Topic: Neuro-inflammation: A key target for development of novel treatments for severe mental illnesses
Professor Imran Bashir Chaudhry is a consultant psychiatrist and chairman psychiatry at Ziauddin group of Hospitals Karachi. He trained in USA and UK and is a professor of adult psychiatry at University of Manchester and visiting professor at Dow University of Health Sciences. He worked as a consultant Psychiatrist with the National Health Service in the United Kingdom for 17 years. Prof Chaudhry has made significant contributions to research through experimental clinical psychopharmacological studies and developing culturally appropriate psychological interventions. He has designed and funded no fewer than ten clinical trials of novel agents, each with a scientific rationale but away from mainstream thinking. Since 2003 as PI and Co-PI, he received research grants from prestigious organizations which include MRC, NIH-R, British Council, CIDA, SMRI, DFID, Welcome Trust and Grand Challenges Canada. He received numerous clinical excellence awards from the NHS for excellence in research, service development and teaching. He also has received diplomate of the year from World Health Organization and research excellence award from Royal College of Psychiatrists. He was a member of technical advisory board of The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). He has published more than 200 papers and abstracts in international, high impact factor peer reviewed journals and presented his research at prestigious international meetings.
Dr. Rashida Rahmat Zohra
Topic: Intellectual Property Management in Life Science
Dr. Rashida Rahmat Zohra, is a biotechnologist with specialization in Industrial Biotechnology. Her research interests are in developing biotech based technologies and commercialization of biological research. She is serving as Dean Research, Director of Office of Research Innovation and Commercialization (ORIC) and Assistant Professor in Department of Biotechnology at Jinnah University for Women, Karachi.
She has been associated with Institute of Research Promotion (IRP), Lahore; Pakistan’s largest R&D network, as In-charge of Invention to Innovation Summit and lead the annual activities.
Apart from outstanding academic record, the nominee has research publications in internationally reputed journals with Impact Factor and has novel proteins and genomic sequences submitted to UniProtKb and GenBank, respectively. She has recently been awarded 5.3 million PKR Research Grant from Higher Education Commission, HEC (Technology Development Fund-TDF), Pakistan. She is the only awardee throughout Karachi to receive this fund in the call for year 2017.
She is part of the team studying Entrepreneurial Scientists worldwide with Triple Helix Association and advocates industry-academia linkages and entrepreneurship at academic institutions. To her credit is a book of case studies, a national directory and several online short articles. (https://satha.org/Projects/Entrepreneurial-Scientists.aspx)
AREA OF EXPERTISE
- Microbial biopolymers production, purification and characterization.
- Protein purification and characterization from natural sources
- Bioprocess engineering using enzyme technology.
- Enhanced production of recombinant biomolecules of commercial importance.
- Managing industry-academia-government liaison for applied research & technology development.
- Convergence of all Pakistan academic institutions for applied research.
- Promotion of indigenous technology development programs.
- Design and development of new academic & professional certification programs.
- Preparing project plans for institutes to get funding for research facilities development, seminars and new program launching.
- Managing the graduate, postgraduate level academic centers and enhancing their quality.
Dr. Huma Rasheed
Research Scientist in Ampli Tech Inc.
Bohemia NY, 11727, USA
Topic: Polypharmacology of Cancer: A Novel Approach of Drug Discovery with Current Challenges and Opportunities
Dr. Huma Rasheed is currently working as a Research Scientist in Ampli Tech Inc. and exploring the relationship of RF microwaves in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer and recently has published an article in Microwave Product Digest. She is a member of American Society of Pharmacology and Therapeutics and reviews articles for peer reviewed journals. She completed her B. Pharm, MPhil and PhD from University of Karachi. After obtaining her PhD she completed a postdoc in collaboration of Michigan State University, MA. She received a postdoc fellowship from Department of Tumor Biochemistry, Center for Molecular Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. She completed her 3rd postdoc from Wistar institute, Pennsylvania, USA and established an advanced cancer research laboratory at Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine, ICCBS Karachi. She served as an Assistant Professor at Riphah Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Islamabad and PCMD, University of Karachi.
Dr. Huma Rasheed received Best Paper Award from NICVD, and Best Poster Award from University of Illinois, Illinois, USA. She received a young scientist Award, Gold Medal Star Laureate awards.
Dr.Huma Rasheed is a co-author of 38 articles and 60 abstracts. She received extramural funding on three projects. She is a health speaker in New York. She is passionate to serve the country based on her years of teaching and research experience.
Prof. Dr. Hk. Abdul Hannan
Ph.D.: Unani Medicine, Faculty of Pharmacy, Hamdard University, Karachi, (2003).
B.U.M.S. (Bachelor of Unani Medicine & Surgery), Aligarh Muslim University, India, 1966.
Diploma: in Arabic Language, Al-Jamiatul Arabia Fi Pakistan, (Karachi Centre), 1978.
Topic: Status of Unani/Eastern Medicine in Pakistan
Prof. Dr. Hk. Abdul Hannan is currently working as Director, Research & Development (R&D), Hamdard Laboratories (Waqf) Pakistan.He has been associated with the following responsibilities like:
- In-charge Government Unani/Ayurvedic Dispensary Bhopal India.(From 1970-1980)
- In-charge Board of Physicians Hamdard Foundation Karachi Pakistan.(From1982-1997)
- Clinical Practicing Physician of Unani/Eastern Medicine. (From 1996-Present)
- Lecturer, Assistant Prof. Professor, Vice Principal and Principal Hamdard Tibbia College
- Hamdard Foundation Karachi Pakistan.(From1982-1995)
- Principal, Hamdard Al-Majeed College of Eastern Medicine, Hamdard University, Karachi (Since 1995 to 2000)
- Dean, Faculty of Eastern Medicine, Hamdard University, Karachi (From 2000 to 2011)
- The Vice Chancellor, Hamdard University, Karachi (From 2013 to 2017)
- Director, Research & Development (R&D), Hamdard Laboratories (Waqf) Pakistan (From 2017 – Till Date)
Prof. Dr. Hk. Abdul Hannan’s professional honors includes:
- Shaheed-e-Pakistan, Hakim Mohammed Said, Lifetime Achievement and Merit Award
- Gold Medal, Certificate and on Honorary Membership Awarded by Shifa-ul-Mulk Memorial Academy, Hyderabad
- Membership # 01106, Association of Naturopathic Practitioners Scotland Ltd., Scotland UK 9th November 2006.
- Sanad Imtiaz-e-Tibb (Certificate in Excellence in Tibb) at the 9th Annual Conference, Kanpur (U.P.) Member, Haj Medical Mission, 1988.
Prof. Dr. Hk. Abdul Hannan also contributed in the field of research and publications with :
RESEARCH PAPERS (NATIONAL): 13, RESEARCH PAPERS (INTERNATIONAL): 12
MEDICAL ARTICLES (NATIONAL): 06, MEDICAL ARTICLES (INTERNATIONAL): 04
RESEARCH PROJECTS: 08, BOOKS: 20
E-mail: [email protected]
Prof. Dr. Tabiba Tasneem Qureshi
Dean, Faculty of Eastern Medicine, Ziauddin Universitya
Topic: Evaluation of Polyherbal Coded Drug Candicure in the Management of Acute Vulvo-Vaginal Candidiasis
Prof. Dr. Tabiba Tasneem Qureshi is currently Dean, Faculty of Eastern Medicine, Ziauddin University. Dr. Tasneem contributed her professional responsibilities in different organizations:
|31March 2017 to December 3, 2018||Principal||Hamdard Al-Majeed College of Eastern Medicine, Faculty of Eastern Medicine, Hamdard University|
|15March 2017||Professor||Hamdard Al-Majeed College of Eastern Medicine, Faculty of Eastern Medicine, Hamdard University|
|4 June 2014 – 30 March 2017||Vice Principal (Academics)||Faculty of Eastern Medicine, Hamdard University|
|27 January 2014||Associate Professor||Faculty of Eastern Medicine, Hamdard University|
|11 June 2013 –
26 January 2014
|Assistant Professor||Faculty of Eastern Medicine, Hamdard University|
|September 2009 –
10 June 2013
|Assistant Professor||Hamdard Research Institute of Unani Medicine, Hamdard University|
|June 2003 –
|Research Associate||Hamdard Research Institute of Unani Medicine, Hamdard University|
|January 2001 –
|Research Assistant||Bait al-Hikmah Research Institute, Hamdard University|
Prof. Dr. Tabiba Tasneem Qureshi published 16 National and International research articles, 5 Medical National articles and 10 Medical International articles.
Dr. Zaheer Ul-Haq
Head Computational Medicinal and Natural Product Chemistry Group
Dr. Panjwani Center for Chemical & Biological Sciences
University of Karachi
Topic: Role of Computational Chemistry in Drug Development
Dr Zaheer Ul-Haq research interests are :
- Design of new bio-active moleucles using computer aided modelling techniques.
- Modelling of small organic ,olecules proteins and protein-ligand interactions.
- Ligand based and structure based pharmacophore design.
- Generation and screening of large virtual combinational compound liabraries.
- Molecular activities determination using 3D-QSAR or quantum chemistry calculations.
- Molecular Dynamics (MD) simulations studies of protein-ligand complex.
- Computational Chemistry of natural products.
Dr. Zaheer completed his Ph.D in Chemistry in 2002 from University of Karachi and post doctoral fellow from University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria. Dr. Zaheer is the International Editorial Board Member:
- Journal of Molecular Graphic and odelling since 2011
- Current Computer-Aided Drug Design since 2016
Dr. Zaheer is also Manuscript Reviewer of many prestigious International research journals like:
- Journal of medicinal Chemistry
- Journal of Chemical information and Computer Sciences
- Journal of Bio-organic and Medicinal Chemistry letters
- Egyption Pharmaceutical Journal
- Journal of Molecular Modelling
- Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry
- Chemical Biology & Drug Design
- Journal of Molecular Structure
Email: [email protected]
Prof. Dr. Kashif Ikram
BDS, FDSRCS (Eng.), FFDRCS (Ire.)
PRINCIPAL, Baqai Dental College
Topic: Miswak Ek Gumshuda Haqeeqat
- Principal Baqai Dental College / Hospital
- Professor, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- BDS – (Baqai Dental College)
- FDSRCS, (Royal College of Surgeons of England).
- FFDSRCS, (Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland).
- Specialist in Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine & Implantology.
- Certified Implantologist.
- Tutor / Trainer for Dental Implants.
- Author of Many National &n International Articles.
Dr. Fatima Jehangir
Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine
Ziauddin College of Medicine
President (Pakistan Academy of Family Physicians) Khi Chapter
Topic: Next generation Anti Diabetic Medication: Liraglutide , a Glucagon like Peptide-1 Analog, fights DM, Obesity and Cardiovascular morbidity.
Mr. Kumera Neme Geleta
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, College of Agriculture,
Wollega University, Shambu, Ethiopia
Topic: Evolution of Human Diet and Effect of Globalization on Regional Diet with Emphasis to the Mediterranean Diet
Mr. Kumera Neme Geleta received his BSc. in Food Science and Postharvest Technology from Hawasa University and MSc. in Food Science and Technology from Haramaya, Ethiopia. He has worked as a lecturer at Wollega University at department of Food Science and Nutrition, Ethiopia. He has seven years teaching and research experience in the university. He has contributed research output for readers by publishing in different peer reviewed journals. He has worked as department head of Food Science and Nutrition for two years and two years as coordinator of registrar at College of Agricultura and Natural Resources, Wollega University. In 2015 he joined Jimma University to pursue his PhD in Postharvest Technology. His research interest is oil, functional food and nutraceuticals, food processing, food safety (mycotoxin, pesticide residue) and food chemistry.
Email: [email protected]
Dr. Mohammad Hafizur Rahman
Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research (PCMD)
International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS)
University of Karachi, Karachi-75270, Pakistan
Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
1995, B.Sc. (Biochemistry), Department of Biochemistry, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
1996, M.Sc. (Biochemistry), Department of Biochemistry, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
2005, Ph.D. (Molecular Genetics), Dept. of Molecular Genetics, Kumamoto University, Japan
- Beat-cell modulation, Diabetes Model development.
- Discovery of novel insulin secretagogue from pure compounds.
- Discovery of new molecules having beta cell protective activity.
- In-Vitro-In-Vivo Correlation for drug development
- Associate Professor (6/2017 – present), PCMD, University of Karachi, Pakistan.
- Visiting Professor (7/2014 – present), Bangladesh University of Health Sciences
- Assistant Professor (9/2010 – 6/2017), PCMD, University of Karachi, Pakistan.
- Research Officer (11/2007 – 9/2010), PCMD, University of Karachi, Pakistan.
- Visiting Professor (3/2007 – 11/2007), PCMD, University of Karachi, Pakistan.
- Postdoctoral Fellow (4/2005 – 3/2007), BIRDEM, Bangladesh.
- PhD Fellow (10/2000 – 3/2005), Kumamoto University, Japan.
- Scientific Officer (6/2000 – 9/2000), BIRDEM, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- 2007/6 – present: PCMD, PCMD, ICCBS, University of Karachi, Pakistan.
- 2006/1 – 2006/12: North South University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- 2005/4 – 2007/3: BIRDEM, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- 2003/4 – 2005/3: Kumamoto University, Japan.
Supervision: 4 Ph.D. and 3 M.Phil. (awarded); 1 Ph.D. and 7 M.Phil. (ongoing)
Co-supervision: 1 M.S., 1 M.D., 1 B.S. and 3 M.Phil. (awarded)
Research Grant: Total ~ 175,000 US$ (HEC and PAS, Pakistan; MS&T, Bangladesh; Japan Govt.)
- Actively involved for several Developmental Grants (PC-1) writing for Government of Pakistan and the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), Saudi Arabia on behalf of ICCBS.
Awards and Honors
|1999-2000 :||NST Fellowship, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of Bangladesh.|
|1999 :||Travel Grant from EASD, Brussels, Belgium.|
|2000-2005 :||Japan Govt. scholarship for PhD study|
|2006 :||Travel Grant from COMSTECH, Islamabad, Pakistan.|
|2010 :||Travel Grant from ANRAP Dhaka, Bangladesh.|
|2011 :||Travel Grant from IDF World Diabetes Congress, Dubai, UAE.|
|2012 :||Travel Support from IDF-WPR Congress, Japan.|
|2013 :||Travel Grant from ANRAP, Kathmandu, Nepal.|
|Travel Grant from Japan Diabetes Society, Japan.|
|Travel Grant from IDF World Diabetes Congress, Melbourne, Australia.|
|2014 :||Travel Grant from IDF-WPR Congress, Singapore.|
|Travel Grant from GC University, Lahore, Pakistan.|
|Travel Grant from Bangladesh Endocrine Society, Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|2015 :||Travel Grant from ICGEB, Italy|
|Travel Grant from CHEMRAWN XX, Dhaka, Bangladesh.|
|2016 :||Travel Grant from Japan Diabetes Society Kyoto, Japan.|
|2018 :||Travel Grant from Asian Association for the Study of Diabetes, Japan.|
|Travel Grant from Japan Diabetes Society, Japan.|
|2019:||Travel Grant from Asian Association for the Study of Diabetes, Japan.|
Publications: 51 in international Journals (impact factor: 81.47; total citation: 607)
Conference Presentation: 101
Invited Talks: 7
PATENT: 1 in pipeline
- Member, Asian Association for the Study of Diabetes (AASD crd000964).
- Member, European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD 990557).
- Member, Japanese Universities Alumni Association in Bangladesh (JUAAB).
- Member, Graduate Biochemist Association, Bangladesh (01L/94).
- Member, Diabetes and Endocrine Society of Bangladesh.
- Member, Asian Network of Research on Anti-diabetic Plants (ANRAP).
- Core Member, Kumamoto International Education Progress (KIEP), Japan.
DAY 1, FRIDAY 6TH DECEMBER, 2019
|3:00 – 3:30 pm||Walk In Registration (On availability of seat)|
|3:30 – 3:45 pm||Guest to be seated|
|3:45 – 4:00 pm||Inaugural Session|
|4:00 – 4:10 pm||Recitation from Holy Quran|
|4:10 – 4:20 pm||National Anthem / Ziauddin Anthem|
|4:20 – 4:30 pm||Introduction to the Conference by Chair (Prof. Dr. Rafeeq Alam Khan)|
|4:30 – 4:45 pm||Welcome Address by VC (Prof. Pirzada Qasim Raza Siddiqui)|
|4:45 – 5:15 pm||Dr. Sir. Ziauddin Memorial Lecture by Dr. Masood Parvez
“X-Ray Crystallography and Drug Design”
|5:15 – 5:45 pm||Dr. Jaffery Memorial Lecture by Dr. Shazia Jamshed
“The Need for Pharmacovigilance Culture”
|5:45 – 6:05 pm||Address by the Chief Guest Prof. Dr. Masood Hameed Khan T.I.|
|6:05 – 6:15 pm||Vote of Thanks by Conference Secretary|
DAY 2, SATURDAY 7TH DECEMBER, 2019
|PLENARY SESSION 1
|Prof. Anwar Ejaz Beg (Advisor to Chancellor, ZU)
Prof. Rahila Ikram (Dean, Faculty of Pharmacy, UoK)
Prof. Huma Ali (Dean, IPS, JSMU)
|8:45 – 9:30 am||Sourcing Nature for Drug Discovery-Current and Future Perspective.
Prof. Dr. Iqbal Choudhary (ICCBS, UoK)
|9:30 – 9:50 am||Discovery of Lead Molecules from Natural Products for Diabetes Research Using In-vitro and In-vivo Bioassays
Dr. M. Hafizur Rahman, (PCMD, ICCBS, UoK)
|9:50 – 10:10 am||Role of Computational Chemistry in Drug Development
Dr. Zaheer-ul-Haq Qasmi (PCMD, ICCBS, UoK)
|10:10 – 10:30 am||Polypharmacology of Cancer: A Novel Approach of Drug Discovery with Current Challenges and Opportunities
Dr. Huma Rasheed (AmpliTech Inc. Bohemia NY, USA)
|SHORT ORAL PRESENTATIONS|
|10:30 – 10:40 am||Finding New and Unique Drug Targets against the Resistant Microbial Pathogens using Bioinformatics
|10:40 – 10:50 am||Synthesis, Characterization and Pharmacological Evaluation of Moxifloxacin-Ester Derivatives
Mahwish Akhtar, Muhammad Shehroz Wasim, Sana Shamim
|10:50 – 11:00 am||SESSION CLOSING CEREMONY|
|11:00 – 11:30 am||TEA|
|PLENARY SESSION 2
|Prof. Abbas Zafar (Dean, FHS, ZU)
Prof. Talat Mirza (Dean Research, ZU)
Prof. Bushra Wasim (Director ORIC, ZU)
|11:30 –11:55 am||Neuro-Inflammation: A Key Target for Development of Novel Treatment for Severe Mental Illness
Prof. Imran Bashir Chaudary (ZU)
|11:55 –12:15 pm||Intellectual Property Management in Life Science
Dr. Rashida Rahmat Zohra (JUW)
|12:15 – 12:35 pm||Next Generation Anti Diabetic Medication: Liraglutide, a Glucagon like Peptide-1 Analog, fights DM, Obesity and Cardiovascular Morbidity
Dr. Fatima Jehangir (ZU)
|SHORT ORAL PRESENTATIONS|
|12:35 – 12:45 pm||Miracles Do Happen – The Nemechek Protocol
|12:45 – 12:55 pm||
Schisandronic Acid from Kadsura coccinea Activity Against Breast Cancer by Aggravating Caspase-3, PARP and Reducing Oxidative Stress
Shumaila Aman Tasneem, Yupei Yang, Wei Wang, M. Iqbal Choudhary
|12:55 – 1:00 pm||SESSION CLOSING CEREMONY|
|1:00 – 2:00 pm||NAMAZ AND LUNCH BREAK|
|PLENARY SESSION 3
|Prof. Muhammad Harris Shoaib (Faculty of Pharmacy, UoK)
Dr. Shazia Jamshed (Islamic University Malaysia)
Prof. Noor Jahan (Dean, College of Pharmacy, DUHS)
|2:00 –2:25 pm||Therapeutic good Regulation –An Instrument of Public Health
Dr. Obaidullah (DRAP, Islamabad)
|2:25 – 02:50 pm||Reshaping Drug Development through risk management – A systematic Approach to Counter Challenges
Dr Saif-ur-Rehman Khatak (CDL, Karachi)
|SHORT ORAL PRESENTATIONS|
|2:50 – 3:00 pm||Verapamil Potentiates Temozolomide Efficacy by Inhibiting Autocrine VEGF Signaling in Human Glioblastoma Cells
Farina Hanif, Shabana Usman Simjee
|3:00 – 3:10 pm||Superdisintegrants Effects: Development and Optimization of Febuxostat Tablets and Statistical Evaluation of Release Kinetics
Saquib M. Qureshi, Farya zafar, Huma Ali, Shabana N. Shah, Rabia Bushra, Sohail Khan, Maqsood A, Khan, Neelam Mallick
|3:10 – 3:20 pm||Exploration of New Natural Resource for Anti-Parkinson Activity
Saima Mahmood Malhi, Noor Jahan, Mehtab Alam, Noreen Tariq
|3:20 – 3:30 pm||Small Molecular inhibitors of Aurora kinase B; From Structural Insight to Mechanism Based Design
Sajda Ashraf, Zaheer Qasmi, Adrian Mulholland
|3:30 – 3:45 pm||SESSION CLOSING CEREMONY|
|PLENARY SESSION 4
(NUTRACEUTICALS / HERBAL MEDICINE)
|Prof. Ghazala H. Rizwani (Dean Research, HU)
Prof. Iqbal Azhar (Faculty of Pharmacy, UoK)
Dr. Ambreen Huma (Faculty of Pharmacy, ZU)
|3:45 – 4:10 pm||Status of Unani/Eastern Medicine in Pakistan
Prof. Hakim Abdul Hannan (Hamdard Laboratories)
|4:10 – 4:30 pm||Evolution of Human Diet and Effect of Globalization on Regional Diet with Emphasis to the Mediterranean Diet
Dr. Kumera Neme (Jimma University, Ethopia)
|4:30 – 4:50 pm||Evaluation of Polyherbal Coded Drug Candicure in the Management of Acute Vulvo-Vaginal Candidiasis
Dr. Tabiba Tasneem Qureshi (FEMNS, ZU)
|4:50 – 5:10 pm||Miswak Ek Gumshuda Haqeeqat
Prof. Kashif Ikram (Baqai Dental College, BU)
|SHORT ORAL PRESENTATIONS|
|5:10 – 5:20 pm||Synergistic Effects of Syzygium cumini and Laser on Wound Healing in Diabetic Rats
Syed Asif Jahanzeb Kazmi, Rafeeq Alam Khan, Fayyaz Anjum, Qaiser Jabeen
|5:20 – 5:30 pm||Pharmacological Security of Food
|5:30 – 6:00 pm||CLOSING CEREMONY|
Workshop Schedule & Fees
1) RESEARCH DEPARTMENT, ZIAUDDIN UNIVERSITY
|Prof.Dr. Talat Mirza
Dr. Rehan Ahmed Siddiqui
|Histological Techniques in Pre Clinical Studies||MDRL LAB 1 and 2
University Building, 3rd Floor. Ziauddin University, Clifton Karachi.
|09:00 am-01:00 pm|| Rs. 1000
|TEA BREAK||11:00 am-11:30 am|
|Dr Shumaila Usman
Dr Fehmida Fasim
|· Cell Culture Techniques for Drug Designing and Development||MDRL LAB 1 and 2
University Building, 3rd Floor. Ziauddin University, Clifton Karachi.
2) FACULTY OF PHARMACY, ZIAUDDIN UNIVERSITY
|Dr. Ghulam Abbass||Pre Clinical Behavioral Paradigms||Faculty of Pharmacy, Ziauddin University||09:00am-01:00 pm||Rs. 1000
|Dr. Shazia Jamshed||Rigor in Research: Development of valid and reliable research instrument||Faculty of Pharmacy, Ziauddin University||09:00am-01:00 pm|
FACULTY OF PHARMACY, ZIAUDDIN UNIVERSITY
|Dr. Ghulam Abbass||Pre-Clinical Behavioral Paradigms||Faculty of Pharmacy, Ziauddin University||09:00 am-01:00 pm||Rs. 1000|
|Dr. Shazia Jamshed||Rigor in Research: Development of valid and reliable research instrument||Faculty of Pharmacy, Ziauddin University||09:00 am-01:00 pm||Rs. 1000|
Poster Presentation Specifications
- Information should be summarized using brief written statements, graphic materials, such as photographs, charts, graphs, and diagrams mounted on standard size poster (2 ft (breadth) x 4ft (length) pins or other mounting materials will be supplied.
- Authors must prepare all posters before hand in a form enabling easy mounting.
- Poster orientation must be PORTRAIT. If posters are in landscape format, there will not be adequate space to display them.
- Clear labels must be used for each section of the poster. Text should be of sufficient size for easy reading at a distance of 1.5 meter (between 16-20 font sizes).
- Title must be displayed clearly at the top of the poster and should include the names of the author(s) and the institution(s) of origin.
Display and Presentation
- Author/s are responsible for mounting and taking down their own poster during the conference. Mounting tapes will be provided by the registration desk if required.
- Posters will be display on 7th December, 2019 from 09:00 am to 06:00 pm. (Poster presentation schedule will be shared by end of November, 2019)
- Poster presenters should be available to discuss the posters with the conference participants & judges
during these periods and during the tea breaks.
Terms and Conditions
- The scientific committee reserves the right to make the final decision about the abstract acceptance and its scheduling into the program based on topics and time constraints.
- The language of the conference is English.
- All abstracts must be prepared using the abstract submission guidelines.
- Fee or payment of travel/ living expenses or registration charges will not be provided.
We look forward to seeing you at the 4th International Conference!
Conference Secretariat: ORIC Office, 5th floor, ZU
Tel No:(9221)35862937-9 (Ext 2366), 35379207.
Email: [email protected]
Abstract Submission Details
- Abstract should be an original work
- Maximum words 250.
- Presenting author must submit the abstract
- Once accepted all presenters must register for the conference
Abstracts must be submitted for both ORAL/POSTER presentations
- Last date for Abstract Submission: 20h July, 2019
(Extended up to 20th Oct, 2019)
- Notification of Acceptance of Abstract: 30th, October, 2019
Pre Conference workshops
- Cell Culture Technique for Drug Design and Development
- Histological Techniques in Pre Clinical Studies
- Pre Clinical Behavioral Paradigms
- Rigor in Research: Development of Valid and Reliable Research Instrument
Last date for Pre Conference Workshop registration: 25th November, 2019
Last date for Conference registration: 25th November, 2019
Registration Fee for Conference
All Students and Faculty Rs 1000
Professionals Rs 2000
Registration Fee for workshops Rs 1000 (Limited Seats)
For Registration Online Please log on registration.zu.edu.pk
Abul Hassan Jafarey Auditorium, Ziauddin University, Clifton Campus. Karachi
For Further Details Please Contact:
Ph: 9221-35862937-9 ( Ext: 2366), 35379207
Email: [email protected],