Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.)
The Pharm.D programme at Ziauddin Faculty of Pharmacy is to produce pharmacists who have the abilities and skills which are necessary to achieve outcomes related to:
- Providing Pharmaceutical care to patients.
- Developing and managing medication distribution and control systems.
- Monitoring drug response in patients and adjusting dosage regimens to produce the safest, most beneficial results in therapy.
- Managing the pharmacy.
- Promoting public health.
- Providing drug information and education..
- Providing technical aid to Pharmaceutical industry and solving problems pertinent to the manufacturing of medicines.
- Reviewing products evaluated for formulary consideration.
- Evaluating policies, procedure, protocols and clinical pathways to ensure safe use of medications.
- Analysing quality assurance activities to ensure that improvements are implemented to produce positive patient outcomes.
Students of Pharm.D are lucky to be a part of an institute with large set-up of hospitals & clinical practice. To make best use of this opportunity, we have given much emphasis on the clinical side of the profession which is the very soul of Pharm.D programme. This is a requirement of the curriculum as approved by Pharmacy Council of Pakistan. This training also provides a better chance of learning and practicing the skills in these fields than elsewhere. No Pharmacy institution in the country has such an ideal situation for the training as Ziauddin University has.
This training enables these future Pharmacists to play a vital role in the improvement of quality of healthcare in our society. This will bring a unique difference between its graduates and graduates of other Pharmacy institutions of the county. It will not be out of place to mention that Pharm.D is a patient oriented programme rather than product oriented four years B. Pharm Course of the past.
This training enables these future Pharmacists to play a vital role in the improvement of quality of healthcare in our society. This will bring a unique difference between its graduates and graduates of other Pharmacy institutions of the country. It will not be out of place to mention that Pharm.D is a patient oriented programme rather than product oriented four-year B.Pharm degree of the past. Students of 4th & 5th Professionals complete this training in Pharmaceutical service centres (In-patient pharmacy, emergency room pharmacy, ambulatory dispensing area, bulk store, out-patient pharmacy, satellite pharmacy) and different wards like Medical ICU, Cardiac care unit, Neonatal care unit, cardiac ward, Neuro. / Psychiatry ward, Gastroenterology ward, Gynaecology ward, Paediatric ward, Dialysis centre. This training is conducted at all three campuses of Dr. Ziauddin Hospital i.e. North Nazimabad, Clifton & Kemari (KDLB).
The main objectives of clinical training are:
- To develop students’ communication skills for effective interaction with patients and with practitioners of other health professions.
- To help students develop a patient awareness in the practice of Pharmacy.
- To enable students to integrate the knowledge acquired in course work prior to clinical exposure, and to apply it to the solution of real problems, and to help students become more aware of the general methods of diagnosis and patient care specifically related to drug therapy.
COMMUNITY PHARMACY TRAINING AT ZIAUDDIN
Community pharmacy training programmes focused on advancing skills in direct patient care, patient care service development and practice management. Following are the main objectives of our community training:
- To produce professionally competent pharmacists.
- To serve the community as a drug specialist.
- To enable the students to have sound knowledge
and practical exposure to;
- Community Pharmacy and its organisation.
- Epidemiology and its control.
- To educate and counsel the patient.
- To control drug abuse and misuse.
- To control drug inventory.
- To develop a better understanding of principles of health promotion and patient care programmes such as immunisation in community.