BS Software Engineering
“Department of Software Engineering aims to stimulate the development of a knowledge economy in Pakistan, supported by our ambition to produce software engineering graduates as successful entrepreneurs, internationally recognized researchers with emphasis on professional and social ethics for dynamic and global careers.”
Software Engineering derives its essence from computer science as other engineering disciplines do from natural or life sciences, with an emphasis on issues of process, design, measurement, analysis and verification providing a strong foundation in engineering principles and practices as applied to software development.
Software Engineering and computer science differ in much the same way as do Electrical engineering and Physics. Generally, engineering should be concerned with applying what we already know to create products, while science is more theoretical. Therefore, the goal of computer science, according to Parnas, "is to learn and extend the science". Software Engineering on the other hand aims to use the science and technology already available to create products and tools for use
ZUFEST offering a four year degree program (134 CrH) with a balanced mix of Computing & Software development subjects. The SE graduates develop, design and assess software that a computer uses to function. The problem solving skills are key to the success in this endeavor. A software engineer can find its place to study existing apps, develop new software modules & programs or maintain the computer applications in a software house, IT firm, Bank etc. The average salary of Software Engineer ranges between 45,000 to 150,000 PKR. They can grow exponentially if keep updating the skill set with market needs. There’s a huge market for freelance SE graduate (Entrepreneur).
Pakistan’s share of global I.T. sales is now $2.8 billion (up from $ 30 million in year 2000). (New York Times, Aug. 10, 2015)
Pakistan growing : About 1,500 registered firms and 10,000 IT grads entering the market annually (Washington Wire, 18th May 2015)
Pakistani programmers market ranks as No. 3 country in the world for supplying freelance programmers — behind only the United States and India. Pakistan’s freelance programmers already account for $850 million of the country’s software exports (New York Times, Aug. 10, 2015)
Scope & Opportunities
- Huge market for freelance SE graduate (Entrepreneur)
- Better job prospects with ever emerging IT market
PROGRAM OBJECTIVES (POS)
- To produce graduate with sound knowledge of natural sciences with balance between computing theory and practical applications
- To train students for software project management, methodologies, tools and technologies pertaining to modern software development environments
- To provide enabling environment for students to grow as Graduates to function as proficient software developers aware of communication skills, professional ethics, cultural, historical, and social issues that influence or relate to the development of high quality software systems.
- To prepare students for professional careers, entrepreneurship and for graduate studies in software engineering
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OUTCOMES (PEOS)
- Understand and be able to apply mathematics, physical science, computer science and related disciplines.
- Understand and be able to apply the principles of software engineering practice and process, subject to realistic constraints.
- Be able to design, implement, verify, validate, deploy and maintain software systems.
- Have an awareness of current industry standards and practices.
- Be able to understand and apply software project management skills in one or more application domains
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be capable of independent learning and have knowledge of economics
- Understand professional responsibility and application of ethical principles.