Research excellence in all fields of study is central to the mission of Ziauddin University and a pinnacle priority for the department of Research as the key elements to the success of the University that need to be preserved .
Education at ZU would not be complete without its vital research community. The Health Sciences Research program encompasses several faculties and departments across ZU Campuses, that contribute rich research atmosphere. With College of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Bio-Medical Engineering, Nursing, Speech-Language and Hearing Sciences, Allied Health Sciences, Physical Therapy and Education, ZU offers unparalleled opportunities for interdisciplinary cooperation in health sciences education and research. These faculties are particularly important in linking our researchers together and offer a venue to link scientists working on basic biomedical research to physicians working on problems that directly affect patient care. ZU community is in continued pursuit of ever greater accomplishments in research through our commitment to innovation, excellence, and quality. We share new knowledge for educating and inspiring tomorrow’s leaders.
The ZU faculty maintain active research laboratories that are exploring existing questions spanning from the most basic to the most translational aspects of health sciences research represented by the National and International publications in reputed journals . Research Days are series of events which will be hosted this year to showcase outstanding research at ZU, both for our own community as well as probable industry collaborators. Feel free to communicate directly with faculty to explore the availability of research opportunities and specific areas of investigation.
We look forward to supporting the continued success of our research programs.
To be recognized as the icon of innovative, leading edge clinical & translational research in South Asia.
Department of Research through its offices of Research Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC), Basic Science
Research Coordination (BSRC), Publication and Grant is the central coordination body for research at Ziauddin University which supports the overall vision of the University to conduct research. The Department facilitates research that enhances the knowledge-building environment at Ziauddin
- Advancing academic research and develop the University’s reputation as most renowned private research University.
- Leading-edge Clinical and translational research—bringing medical innovation to patients
- Resident’s and fellows independent research projects
- Exploration of nano-technology’s potential
- Ensuring that research meets the highest ethical and quality standards through open transparent processes
- Offering robust clinical conference series calendar
The Research Laboratory at Ziauddin University provides
- Cell & Molecular Biology, Genomic & Proteomic techniques
- Wet lab Bench Space,
- Services include training on all equipment, guidance on experimental design and technician-assisted in all equipment operation.
- Cell culture facility
- Imaging facility
a) Building Research Capacity / Faculty Development Programs:
Basic and clinical science research and education are the key priorities for global health training, capacity building, and practice at ZU. Currently, there are tremendous gaps between strong science education and research in developing countries like ours. The need to stress basic and clinical science research beyond the typical investment of research laboratories in developing areas is significant in terms of the benefits, not only to education but also for economic strengthening and development of human resources. There are some indications of an increase in basic and clinical science research education and training, but this still needs to be strengthened systematically and applied more rigorously in different areas of health Sciences in Pakistan. In addition to helping foster research that will directly benefit the junior scientists, this program will also provide benefits to ZU by addressing its national priorities and contributing to the achievement of its noble vision.
Department of research has designed Certificate Courses, workshops to facilitate physician, Junior faculty and mid-career clinicians, graduate & undergraduate students.
- Advanced Course in Grant Writing: We provide hands-on assistance to prepare and submit your own quality grant applications to the National and International Funding institutions.
- Clinical Trials Methodology Workshop: Learn how to develop protocols for clinical evaluation
- Research Methodology workshop
- Quality Improvement Tools
- Training workshop on Manuscript writing
- Training workshop on biostatistical analysis SPSS
- Faculty Skills Update: Introduction to leading scientific advancement in the Health Science Research. Our idea is to incorporate new teaching and research software techniques like EndNote ,for advance reference management /presentations for reference sharing capabilities.
b) Monthly Activities: 2016-2017
- Research Methodology Courses & Workshop
- Research Ethics Course Work
- Application of Power Lab in BioMedical Research
- End Note application in organizing research
- Manuscript writing skills
- Hands-On workshops on Plagiarism software
- Workshop on Clinical Trial
- Sample size calculation and data analysis, SPSS
- Research at undergrad level-challenges and opportunities
- Protein, RNA & DNA isolation purification and quantitation from tissue
- Guidelines for preparing effective Oral/Poster Presentation
- Developing a Research Question and Hypothesis Testing
- Other Biomedical Techniques
c) Yearly Activities
- National Annual Health Sciences Conference & International thematic Conferences
- ZU Research Day: The event is the collaborative initiative between the offices of the Deans of various Faculties. A celebration of the research and creative endeavors by Ziauddin University undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral researchers:
- Symposiums/Distinguished Lecture Series Hands-on Workshops in cutting edge technologies
THE UNIVERSITY RESEARCH COUNCIL (URC):
Mission: Is to Develop and consolidate a platform for the researchers in Ziauddin University and to facilitate the process of quality research ensuring its strategic relevance to be consistent with Ziauddin policies.
URC monitors and reviews the policies relating to the University’s research activities, including research and research training, internationalization and international reputation, and their management.
Sub-committees mentioned below are governed by the rules and regulations of URC in line with ZU policies
- Research Executive Committee (REC)
- The University Ethics Review Committee (ERC)
- Research Advocacy Committee (RAC)
- Clinical Research Committee (CRC)
- Thesis Advisory Committee
- Ph.D. Advisory Committee
- Department Thesis Committee
- Thesis Examination Committee (TEC)
- Research IT & Systems Committee
- Faculty Research Committees (FRCs)
The Research Department facilitate and promote the research publications to provide access to the faculty, graduate and undergraduate students of Ziauddin University and other National University
- The Pakistan Journal of Medicine and Dentistry (PJMD)
- Pakistan Journal of Rehabilitation (PJR)
- Journal of Nursing
INTERNATIONAL AND NATIONAL COLLABORATION
The Research Department overarching aim in supporting international research collaboration is to maximize ZU’s contribution to and benefits from international and national research collaborations, partnerships
- King’s College, London, UK
- Karolinska Institute, Sweden
- University of Karachi, Pakistan
- Aga Khan University, Pakistan
- Jinnah University For Women, Pakistan
CLINICAL TRIAL WORKSHOPS
The track offering clinical trial extended course and workshops have been initiated by the Research Department.
Summer Internship/Training Program
Intensive training courses are designed to expose students to state-of-art-techniques. It is meant to develop skills and building tools for conducting independent research in Health Sciences.
This program helps in mentoring the career development, awareness and interests of University undergraduates/ Faculty in Health Sciences Research.
Core Facility Services
We will shortly be offering core lab services to the researchers at the national level at the affordable cost. e.g. protein isolation, separation and quantification beside SDS-PAGE, 2-D electrophoresis, Immune blotting, immune fluorescence, PCR, Gel Imaging and HPLC, water testing facility and others.
Department Of Research Resources
- Nikhat Ahmed Siddiqui, Ph.D. (Surrey, United Kingdom)
Dean Research and Meritorious Professor
- Shamim Mushtaq, PhD
- Meraj Zehra, MPhil
- Erum Zafar,MS
Office of Dean Research
Karachi 75600, Pakistan.
Tel: +92 21 35862937-9 Ext: 566
Fax: +92 21 35862940